2Mum and I have had another week when we haven’t been very far, but we have been busy. Mum has even managed to do a bit of work on When Daffodils Bloom and so I haven’t had to poke her too many times with my pointy stick. She’s also bought a new 17-month planner, as, with all the problems she’s had since I helped her put the one together last October, she’s fallen way behind with her schedule and so needs to set herself some new deadlines. She’s also promised that I can help her put the stickers on it – if only she can remember where she put them!

original_bestest-friend.jpgAnd, although we’ve been busy, we’ve managed to have a couple of Little Adventures since I last wrote to you. The first was a visit to nearby Haworth with Tracey, who is one of our bestest friends. For various reasons, we haven’t been able to meet up for a long time, so there was a lot of news to catch up on over lunch at the Old White Lion. There’s all sorts of delicious-sounding food on the menu there, but Mum and Tracey’s favourite is Tipsy Chicken, which is chicken breast with a sauce made of white wine and cream, mushrooms and spring onions, served with sautéed potatoes and plenty of vegetables. They also have their favourite puddings – for Mum it’s a Pavlova with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, and for Tracey it’s a Chocolate Tear. 


foundrymanhero-edward-evans-book.jpgAs well as catching up on each other’s news, Mum and Tracey also talked about writing, which Mum said counted as work, but I don’t really think so. They did have an interesting encounter, however, when they were parking the car in Haworth and met a local author, Edward Evans. He had a stand by the ticket-machine and, if you bought a copy of his latest book, The Foundry Man’s Apprentice, for £10, you didn’t have to pay to park that day and he made a contribution to charity from each copy he sold. Mum decided to buy one and she also told him about me and my blog and gave him one of my business cards, which made me feel quite important!

When we got home from Haworth, Mum had an email about me and my blog from her friend, Denise, in Australia. Denise said her brother also enjoys reading it, as he likes the bits about history and also the pictures of our lovely green fields, as he is trying to farm in drought conditions and all his grass has dried up and died.


It made us realise how lucky we are living here, especially at this time of year when everything is so fresh, and so the next day we went out and took some photos of the fields on the edge of our village, before the farmer starts cutting the grass for silage. We also photographed the cricket field and the beck, the trees and the flowers, which are all looking at their best at the moment.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Then Mum told me that the tall white flowers growing alongside the path are really called cow parsley.  When she was a little girl, however, she knew it as mother-die and would never pick it as she’d been told her mother would die if she did. And, although it’s only a superstition, I had to promise her that I’d never pick any, just in case…

Our other little adventure was a trip to Morley, so that Mum could finally get her hair back to its unnatural colour again and stop looking like a zebra. Normally we’d drive there, but Mum’s still a bit wobbly after being poorly and so we decided to go on public transport. This involved a bus, then a short walk to the nearest station, then a train to Leeds- where we saw the new London train- and a taxi to Morley.


Leeds-MAIN taxi

For this the driver insisted on using his sat-nav and seemed to go miles out of his way. He then charged Mum £16.20 and, after she got over the shock, she offered him a £20 note. He then had the cheek to ask   if she wanted any change. Being a Yorkshire Lass, she said yes and, to her surprise, he then gave her a £5 note, instead of the £3.80 she was expecting, so she thanked him kindly and got out before he changed his mind.


After that experience, we decided we’d come all the way back home by bus, starting with one from Morley to Bradford, which Mum found very interesting as, with the system of one-way streets and pedestrianised areas, she saw bits of her old home-town that she’d not seen for years and was amazed at how much some of it had changed. In Bradford she’d just time to buy (and eat, but not share!) a sausage roll, before getting on the bus to Keighley. There we’d just missed the bus that would take us home and so we did a bit of food shopping, then we caught the next one. 

The first journey took an hour and 45 minutes (and was expensive), while the second one took three hours and 20 minutes and cost nothing as Mum is old enough to have a bus pass. But, although it was fun and it was relaxing, and we saw more than we would have done out of the car, I don’t think we’ll try it again for a long time…

Follow my next blog: 35. A LOVELY DAY IN YORK


Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

Create your website at WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: